North Woods Explorer
The Northwoods Explorer Winter Camping Dog Sled Trip
NORTH WOODS EXPLORER
- 4 days dog sledding
- 3 nights winter camping
- First and last night in a comfortable lodge
- Premier style (you drive your own team for the entire trip)
- Explore the pristine Boundary Waters wilderness on this remote route
NORTH WOODS EXPLORER
A Bolder, More Adventurous Winter Camping Experience.
Mush through the heart of the Boundary Waters, covering over 80 miles on a spectacular wilderness route. Remote, rugged and every changing, this trip is suitable for those looking for a true adventure. Build your skills for traveling in the winter landscape by dog team, gathering firewood for hearty meals and living comfortably outside. Travel across frozen lakes allows time to take in the serenity of the wilderness in winter. Narrow technical portage trails turn up adrenaline level as you master maneuvering more technical trails. Adventure guaranteed.
||Nights / Days
|$1,845 /person Group Rates: for 4 or more on solo sled trips or for 6 or more on shared sled trips, take 15% off per person.
||$140 / Person
||5 / 4
|| Custom Dates available. Contact us to set up dates for your group of 2 or more.
- Group welcome dinner and trip orientation.
- Following breakfast, arrive at the kennel (or pre-determined trailhead) and meet your traveling companions- our affectionate Alaskan huskies. We’ll teach you the essentials of driving a sled, harnessing dogs, load the sleds and then be off on our trip. Novices and veterans alike will gain confidence throughout the day. We’ll camp in the late afternoon, taking time to teach skills to insure a warm cozy camp. Dinner served around a toasty fire.
- Breakfast, break camp, build more skills mushing today as we travel via lake and portage country. We’ll make fresh tracks to a remote lake and set up camp. Look for fresh wolf tracks – a common sighting in winter, or listen for the haunting howl of a lone wolf echo cross the moonlit lake. Wait, the dogs will answer in unison. Who knew, dogs can harmonize?
- Travel day. You’ll have the routine now, and be able to concentrate on the nuances of driving your team. The route continues to offer up new challenges. Today may include threading a narrow bridge over a rushing river, or belaying sleds down a steep rocky hillside as we make our way through the boreal northwoods to our final lakeshore camp.
- Break camp after a hearty breakfast of wild rice porridge and homemade banana bread. We’ll make our push back to the kennel today, hitting our favorite local trails en route. Dinner and overnight at lodge.
- Breakfast and depart.
|Maximum group size: 5 guests with 1-2 guides. Minimum age 16.